Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Wall Street Rioters

By now everyone has heard more than enough about "the wall street protesters".  Of course, as is typical of far left gatherings there has been a lot of angry business bashing, confrontations with the law, and even this time some arrests.  May I simply make the point that if tea party protesters were trying to force their way into places of national significance and pushing around the police and getting arrested that there would  much self-righteous condemnation from the media.  However, if the far left does it it must be right, right?  (Or maybe it was if the far left does it it must be left, I can't remember.)  I personally have heard little or no condemnation of the actions of the occupy wall street movement from the main stream media (though I admit that I try to limit my exposure to the main stream media, since it gives me high blood pressure).

Another thing that struck me about the protesters is that they claim that a "small minority" has taken over politics (meaning the tea party) and that they, the majority will therefore be able to have a much greater affect if only they energize their base.  Last I checked, however, things like fiscal responsibility and decreasing government regulation were far more popular than dragging businessmen out of their offices in handcuffs.  As much as the media may love to paint the tea party as radical, I think they actually enjoy far more popular support than the far left does.

Another interesting thing about this movement is that although it is a far left movement, it is also rather anti Obama, since it is definitely against the bailouts that Obama pushed through and is trying again to push through (THIS time it will work I'm sure).  Perhaps it will move liberal politicians to the left, which will only help elect more Republicans if national opinion remains the same through the election.  Whatever it's affect, however, it has severely limited it by its unruly conduct and frequent confrontations with police, provoking everything from arrests to pepper spray.  Perhaps I'm biased, but they strike me as a bunch of angry punks who are upset that other people have more money than they do and are willing to do anything to get their way.  Not a movement I would want to ally myself with, even if they did agree with my values.

No comments:

Post a Comment