Saturday, June 4, 2011

Encouraging Inefficiency

As I touched on in my last post, in government programs like Social Security and Medicare, the government encourages the programs to be inefficient by giving them more money when they go over their budget and less when they go under.  Another area where this is true is welfare, and many similar programs.  In welfare, individuals are encouraged not to get a job, not to work hard, and not to look after their own interests.  Although Liberals at least claim to want to help people, I think I would be pretty miserable if the government took over my entire life.  Just look at the things they have taken over, such as the postal service, education, can you name one thing the government has taken over that it didn't ruin?  (Excluding the military of course.)  Do I really want that kind of bloated, inefficient institution taking care of things like my medicare, my retirement (oh wait, they've already messed up that one too), what kind of car I drive, what I can teach my kids, and what kind of toilet paper I use (yes, they did try to ban non-recycled toilet paper)?  If the government tries to take care of everyone, who is going to take care of the government?  Even the rich only have so much.  If the government just keeps paying people to be lazy, I'll bet there will be even more people who will decide to be lazy.  Then there are less productive people paying for the lazy people.  Anyway, whatever you think you can't deny that there are some people who abuse the system.  Certainly that's a problem worth addressing for a nation that is trillions of dollars into debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment