Saturday, April 28, 2012

3/25/12, 20:15 EST; 3/26/12, 08:15 Beijing Time; 3/26/12, 00:15 GMT; Beijing, China


You’ll be glad to know, I hope, that I make it through the festival alive (but just barely) along with the rest of our group.  Only one person fainted and had to go to the hospital, fortunately not one of ours.  (Going to a Chinese hospital doesn’t sound like a very pleasant experience to me, but I speak in ignorance, thankfully.)  Yesterday we rode the bus back to Beijing, dumped our stuff in the hotel and headed off for the Forbidden City on foot.  I must admit that I didn’t find it as interesting as places like civil war battlefields, which I have more historical context for.  (That is, for which I have a historical context.  Stupid language.)  However, the vastness and ornateness of the place was impressive and it’s good to know that it really does look exactly like the pictures.  We left the Forbidden City via Tiananmen Gate and saw the infamous square.  This had a lot more meaning to me, even though I wasn’t alive during the protests.  After that we walked to walking street (aptly named since they won’t allow cars on it) so that we could walk some more and eat and shop and practice our bartering skills.  After spending around four hours there we walked back to the hotel check in and get some sleep.  This morning we had breakfast at 7am and left soon after for the Great wall, which we are currently on our way to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment