Monday, May 30, 2011

My Memorial Day Weakend Birding

Well, Memorial Day Weekend is the horse-shoe crab festival and smack in the middle of the shorebird migration  in Dover Delaware.  So, I've been checking out the coast for birds saturday and sunday.  In case you haven't heard, the shorebirds and the horse-shoe crabs are connected through a very simple relationship.  Horse-shoe crabs lay the eggs, and the shorebirds eat them.  These eggs are an extremely important source of nutrients for the shorebirds, which migrate from South America to the far northern reaches of Canada.  Fortunately for the birding community, the horse-shoe crabs always lay their eggs around memorial day weekend, and therefore the shorebirds flock to the delaware bay in huge numbers.

On saturday and sunday combined I saw Semipalmated SandpipersWestern Sandpipers, Sanderlings, Dunlin, Semipalmated Plovers, Black-bellied Plovers, American Oystercatchers, Black-necked Stilts, Willets, Ruddy Turnstones, Short-billed Dowitchers, and Red Knots.  Some of the non-shorebirds that I saw included Seaside SparrowsClapper RailsMarsh WrensYellow Warblers (that picture does no justice to this beautiful bird)Caspian TernsProthonotary Warblers, and Blue Grosbeaks.  Last, but not least, I saw a bird that rarely visits the United States and has been causing quite a commotion in the birding community.  In fact, I met one person who drove from Main down to Delaware just to see the Little Egret in breeding plumage.  I guess I'm pretty lucky, because I saw it in an area that I was planning on birding anyway.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend as much as I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment