Monday, August 8, 2011

Camping Report

Contrary to the original plan, we arrived home from camping at around 00:15 Sunday.  Although we had planned to arrive home sunday mourning, we were planning on also leaving sunday mourning instead of leaving at 21:00 Saturday.  The reason for our early departure was that due to the pouring rain we experienced between 10:30 and 18:00 on Saturday the ground beneath our tent was so saturated that any significant pressure on the tent floor caused water to seep through and pool on the floor.  Anticipating a wet night and probably a rainy mourning we decided to skip sleeping in a wet tent and eating breakfast in the rain and left a little bit early.  As a result of this, we were able to go to church on Sunday mourning, which was good.  I can't get to comfortable here, though, because we have to leave Wednesday to go visit our grandparents in Delaware and go to the beach.

While we were camping on Thursday and Friday, however, we had a fantastic time.  On Thursday we set up camp and got used to our surroundings and had a delicious dinner of steelhead (which is like salmon) cooked over the fire.  In addition to this, we saw a red eft, which I can't recall ever seeing before, but had red about in books when I was younger.


He probably wasn't the only one either, because we saw another run over by a car and a third was captured by one of the younger boys we were camping with.

On Friday, we took a hike on a beautiful trail that went along a stream with lots of waterfalls, most of which I photographed.  Fortunately for you, I was able to control myself and weed out some of the worse ones.









In addition to gorgeous waterfalls, we saw a cool millepede with blue and red stripes.  I guess these things must love mixed deciduous forests, because I've only ever seen them in state parks like Ricketts Glen and Worlds End.


On Saturday, we were able to get breakfast in before it started raining.  One bright side of the pouring rain was that I was able to make use of this emergency blanket I've been carrying around in my backpack for years.


Well, it's a whole lot better than carrying an umbrella in my backpack for years.

Nevertheless, I was glad to get home so that we could be indoors for a little while before heading off on our next trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment