Monday, July 4, 2011

07/04/2011, 15:56 EST

I guess I haven't blogged much lately, but you'd be amazed how much easier it is to blog in the car when there's nothing to do (and [cough] no internet).  However, since half of the 18 people in this house are asleep right now, I finally got around to doing this.  At Wichita Mountain we saw a lot of wildlife, that seemed to be going out of it's way to find us.  I saw five new birds, namely a Black-capped VireoRufous-crowned SparrowCattle EgretCliff Swallows, and a Mississippi Kite, which came really close and looked gorgeous in flight.  In addition to the bird life, we saw a small lizard that looked really cool.  I tried to take a picture, but it turned out really blurry, because the camera focused on a shrub in front of it.  Here it is anyway, see if you can identify it.

The scenery itself from Scott Mountain was pretty impressive.  It's a pretty stark contrast from the rest of Oklahoma.

We also saw lots of Bison and Prairie Dogs, in addition to two Elk, a coyote and a Great-horned Owl.







In addition to Wichita, I took a look around my cousins' yard on after church Sunday and saw a Lark Sparrow, a Eurasian Collared-Dove, Western Kingbirds, and about 3 million Eastern Meadowlarks.  Okay, there weren't quite 3 million, but there were A LOT, probably on the order of 40.  Although I don't recommend birding at 2 in the afternoon in the heat of Oklahoma sumer, but I think that there were more birds next to the puddle/pond because it was so hot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment