Saturday, July 9, 2011

07/07/2011, 15:30 EST

I just remembered something I forgot to write about yesterday.  While we were en rout to our hotel we passed over the continental divide.  Now if we dump our water bottles in a river the water will go to the Pacific. 

Oooooooooooo.  Anyway, my sister has been doing somewhat better and although she did not go on the 2.4 mile hike and the ranger guided tour, she did go down to one of the structures in Mesa Verde and saw a few lizards and spent the rest of the time in the museum and looking down into the canyon from the top.  Speaking of looking into the canyon, the view on the hike was incredible far better than my meager photographs.  {We just drove by four corners.  Can you believe they charge to go there now?} 

  
In addition to the spectacular views, there were also interesting rock formations that we saw along one of the ridges.  I don’t know how they formed, but my best guess is wind erosion.


In addition to this, we saw at least four different kinds of lizards, one of which I thought I had already photographed and ended up without a picture of and another that I think might be different but I’m not so sure about.  You decide.



Of course, the main attraction of Mesa Verde is the Indian ruins, which were very interesting, especially with commentary from our ranger guide.



Last, but certainly not least, I saw a number of new birds, namely a Black-throated Gray Warbler, Violet-green Swallows, White-throated Swifts, Spotted Towhees, Rock Wrens, a Black-chinned Hummingbird, and a Mountain Bluebird.  Needless to say, I was happy to see all of those birds that aren’t usually seen in PA, but I especially enjoyed the Violet-green Swallows and White-throated Swifts, which were all over the place.  The White-throated Swifts in particular I thought were beautiful and the lived in crevasses just above the ruins, which meant I got to enjoy them a lot.  It seems that your prayers for my sister have been working, but keep praying for the rest of us, since we’re still in danger.  Mom in particular said she had a stomach cramp this mourning, but that hasn’t materialized into flu yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment